Friday 19 November 2010

LADIES THURSDAY GROUP

My Thursday afternoon meetings continue with the five ladies invited attending as and when they can. This week there was just Helen and Maggie working with me, so we had fun.


I continued with a sketch I had done the previous day with my Stabilo brown fineliner soluble pen on quattro square block watercolour. It was of a local Gardens during the summer with one of their wired sculptures. This time a heron by the water. My visitors were surprised to see me use both a water spray to dampen the washes and then add ground salt crystals to create the effect you can see mainly in the left hand side foliage. Needless to say, it is nowhere near completed.



Maggie fell for my two little Christmas robin ornaments I had set by the side of a cyclamen plant in a basket. She added the logs from her imagination and I've promised to turn them into Christmas cards for her with my computer and Publisher software.



Helen brought along three works that had never been fully completed and we discussed what they needed. There was an acrylic landscape with poppies in a field which she felt had too strong a green in the distant fields. A watercolour of tulips in one of my square vases that needed anchoring with the use of a shadow at the base and also some darks into the foliage and petals helped bring it more 3D and alive. The third one was of a Yorkshsire cottage she staid at on holiday that just needed some attention to the pathway to the door. Then in the last 15 minutes or so she just got out a size 10 brush some green and red watercolours and created this lovely study of the cyclamen - adding some salt to the leaves whilst they were still wet. All without any initial drawing. Charming.



I thoughoughly enjoyed our afternoon together - our work encouraged along by music playing and tea and coconut macaroons dipped in chocolate.

4 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

Sounds like a wonderful day. I wouldn't do anything more to the bg of this painting - love the looseness and the texture already. Perhaps bring that little blue heron out more for us to see (right now he's hiding a bit).

Unknown said...

What a great group and successful afternoon.

Barb Sailor said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful afternoon - and productive too! I also have a Thursday afternoon painting group - sometimes we have a group project and sometimes we work on our own as you did. I certainly look forward to these wonderful Thursday afternoons with my muses.

Sandra Rowney said...

Damn, did I miss the coconut macaroons dipped in chocolate?