Sunday 15 March 2009

THIRD LOCAL RIVER SCENE FOR RISING SUN SHOW

I'm still working on local river/pub scenes for the Easter opening and this is number three of the larger pieces. I decided this time to use acrylics and its on stretched canvas 20 x 16 ins to be framed to match another acrylic the same size.
I decided to thin the paint with acrylic matt gel medium as it helps the paint to flow and leaves a soft finish, almost oil like. Here's me working on the first layer of blocking in colour
on a pinkish coloured gesso base:
Then I took a photo as I developed the
more natural colours and textures.
Finally I finished the painting last night after working a little most days this week, detailing the trees, boathouses, the boats, their windows and reflections, adding a few people, the flags, and deciding to make the sky recess more near the horizon.
enlarge to see figures and riverside posts, etc.
I'm really quite pleased with it and realise now why so many artists stick to the same subject as you learn with every painting. Have'nt painted so many boats in years!!
Next plan is a couple of small pen and wash of the eating area of the pub - from looking out the window of the bar passed a ponsietta on the window sill and another of the colourful umbrellas at the outside tables or possibly the red door against the white stone wall with hanging baskets either side.

9 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

Lovely colors in those trees, Joan. Not being an oil painter I don't know about having colored foundation colors - can you tell me what purpose the pink gesso serves to the painting? Does it just give it a touch of that pink throughout where you haven't covered it in the end?

Vicki Greene said...

Beautiful finish!

Anita Davies said...

Love the addition of that centre tree Joan and the receeding sky works much better.

Nancy Standlee said...

Thanks for sharing the process.Very nice painting and I've never painted in oils.

Joan Sandford-Cook said...

Thanks for all your comments. This latest one is in acrylics folks - to go with two nearby scenes in oils all for the same on-going exhibition of my work, but I do coat the canvas for either medium with a pinky coloured gesso or primer to help give a smoother surface and to create a warm glow.... and as you say Rhonda it peeps through anywhere I have not covered in later stages. If you wanted a cool ambience to any particular work, then I suppose you would use blues/purples.

Robert A Vollrath said...

This is a comment on your last comment Joan.

I told you about painting on copper.
The paintings with the warmest glow are painted over copper.

If I was super rich I would paint over gold sheets:)

Margaret Ann said...

Interesting process Joannie...thanks for sharing...the pink base underneath really does lend itself well to the early buds and blossoms of the season...Very cool! :)

Sandy Maudlin said...

The colors and luminosity of the acrylic is outstanding. You really handle it so well. What a wonderful show to look forward to. Have a great time.

Joan Sandford-Cook said...

Thanks Margaret and Sandy - I was beginning to think the acrylic blue was a bit strong for real, so your comments have helped me realise I must just LEAVE IT ALONE!!!