Wednesday 15 April 2009

THE GRANARY RESTAURANT COLTISHALL

If you click to enlarge you will see the wonderful texture of these lovely cotton Gerstaecker canvases.

I've been working on my second little 7 x 9 ins acrylic and - as planned - its from a couple of summer photos I took of people eating out on the riverside in front of the Granary restaurant attached to the Rising Sun Pub.

I'm having lots of fun adding little people and tables with umbrellas. It's not finished yet, needing to add lettering (ugh I'm so bad at this!) and a few highlights - maybe even some more people - not sure what else it needs.

I'm off to bed now - night night everyone, pleasant dreams.

9 comments:

Robert A Vollrath said...

I'm so terrible at landscapes but can do all kinds of lettering.

I would gladly trade talents with you:)

Joan Sandford-Cook said...

What a great idea! I haven't forgotten my promise of the zentangle sunflower - maybe soon I can get down to painting it for you and ask for your address to send. .. promise.

cathyswatercolors said...

Another adorable painting. Makes me want to get on a plane. I must try acrylics again. Sort of don't know where to start with them. They are so different than watercolor but the colors of acrylic stay so true. Thats what is so frustrating with watercolor. I always want bright vivid color without being overworked. I guess I'm just a fool for watching the water the and color mix on the page...My vacation is almost up tooooo, tooooo short!

Joan Sandford-Cook said...

Hi Carol - I've sent long message on your last blog post re acrylic workshop - hope its helpful. Sounds like you've had a great, well deserved break.

RH Carpenter said...

Looks wonderful, Joan. I liked seeing the texture but also seeing all the people you've added that one cannot see in the small thumbnail :)

Sandra Rowney said...

Hi Joan
One way to deal with copying lettering (as with copying any shape that teases...) is to turn it upside down and concentrate only on shapes and tones. It usually works a treat. I use the technique for my sign lettering in city streets.
Sandra

Anita Davies said...

Great job on the figures Joannie!!!

Claudia said...

Very lovely, Joan, and nice details!

Margaret Ann said...

This is really nice...and I am in love with the texture of the canvas! :)