Thursday 25 June 2009

BWTAS EXHIBITION OF TOWERS IN FELIXSTOWE

marsh drainage skeleton mill at How Hill - acrylic on box canvas 12" x 24"

Bet no one can decide what these initials stand for. We (Sandra and I) had a suprise on finding an entry on the internet about an exhibition of TOWERS IN EAST ANGLIA . The answer is THE BRITISH WATER TOWER APPRECIATION SOCIETY!! It was only then that I began to find them all over the county (Norfolk) mostly white concrete standing up proud in the flat countryside, so decided to submit ideas for taking part in this show at the Landguard Fort.

My three choices of towers in Norfolk are a church tower ruin, a drainage mill on the broads and (when I get round to it) a pair of water towers on the outskirts of North Walsham, a town some 7 miles from my home.

Here are some the stages of the finished marsh drainage skeleton mill at How Hill.



Part of the excellent literature about the show states ...'celebrates and explores the majesty of towers .... and the impact they have on the surrounding space.' As you all know by now, I came up via natural history so all three paintings have foliage, plants etc within the landscape the individual towers 'tower' above.

6 comments:

Vicki Greene said...

What a neat idea. Great job on the framework of that tower.

Judy said...

Whoever could have imagined that something so practical as a water drainage tower could make such an attractive painting?
It takes a true artist to spot the potential.

Candy said...

BWTAS - I never would have guessed what the initials stand for. Your lovely painting started me on an Internet quest. My question was "How do water towers function?". Then I found photos of water towers in the United States and a story of a Vietnam veteran who had a water tower painted to honor veterans. Very interesting.

Anita Davies said...

Great composition choice Joannie...Good luck getting n0. 3 finished.

Joan Sandford-Cook said...

Thanks everyone. Thats the glory of having a themed show, as one works on subjects never previously thought of even if done in ones own style or composition.
Thanks Anita - been working over the past 4 days and come up with a composition I am really pleased with for the water towers after a second visit when I found the field was alive with colour from the growing wheat.

Robert A Vollrath said...

I love this! So much fun to come to your blog and see how your talent grows:)