Wednesday 9 November 2011

PAINTING DAY AT SANDRA'S STUDIO

I have just had a great day painting with my friend Sandra when I drove down to Norwich City to her studio about 10 miles from home. We set ourselves a challenge of creating a piece of acrylic artwork 20" x 16" in one day.

I took a sketch of the Trevi Fountain plus a photograph to work from. The sketch was the important thing as I had used washes of gouache blocks of colour and I wanted to repeat this idea. The photograph was to give me more detail where I needed it for the statues and windows.

Here I am working on the canvas. My arm had begun to ache so Sandra quickly whipped up a home made marl stick from a piece of dowling and a taped wrapped round piece of cotton to give my arm support.




Here is an image of the painting by 4.30 when I packed up to get home before the city traffic built up. We'd had breaks for tea and cake mid morning, soup and rolls and fruit for lunch and another cuppa in the afternoon when Sandra's husband Malcolm joined us. So all in all delighted how far I had got. Needless to say, lots to do to finish it off.



Here we are working in the studio together, back to back because being left handed I needed to face the other way to have my paints etc to hand!!



It was a real fun day and so good to create a full piece of work with another artist with lots of interaction and 'what do you think of this?' every so often or other such enquiries. Sandra created a wrought iron gate from her sketch book on a trickled, blended background of lovely soft aquas, lavenders and greys all over crumpled tissue to give texture. We had lots of chats, laughs and music - a fun day. Plan to make it a monthly event (except Jan and Feb when Sandra is going to New Zealand - that's right 'sketching'. !


Hope the images above enlarge with a click.

3 comments:

Christiane Kingsley said...

Joan, what a wonderful, creative day. And, WOW, I am amazed at what you accomplished in that time! The painting looks fabulous!

Sandra Rowney said...

Yep, that was fun. Looking forward to a day in December.

debwardart said...

Looks like you two had fun, thanks for the photo of her lovely studio - I can almost imagine being there with you!