Sunday 23 November 2008

WATERCOLOUR DEMONSTRATION LOCAL GALLERY

I little while ago the owner of the local Swallowtail Gallery advised me he was arranging an OPEN DAY for his gallery , framers and art materials business in the village and invited me to do a watercolour demonstration to publicise my local WORKSHOPS. What a great opportunity to communicate with more people interested in art. The event arrived yesterday, and as you will see we could not have chosen a worse weekend weather wise - as can be proved by my garden photos taken this morning. Thats right it is snowing in lovely Norfolk and looks delightful but keeps people at home!!!!

David had publicised the event at a number of local villages, art orientated clubs such as a calligraphy group and weekly art groups and shops and as a result about 40 people came through the door. There were two other demonstrators - one showing visitors how to use the silk painting kits David sold in the gallery and his wife and children creating some very unusual animated greetings card kits also on sale ( which I plan to purchase for my grand children to do over Christmas when the family are staying with us for 3 days) .
At one time I had a number of people looking at my sketchbooks, the workshop guidelines folder and images of work created by students during some of our different workshops on tonal studies, watercolours, acrylic and flowers. Then once I actually started the watercolouor subject a group stayed for quite a while asking questions about such things as advice on the brushes and the manufacture of watercolours etc I use. We practically had a mini class on glazes, colour theory, etc and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I was pleased to see some of my workshop publicity leaflets were taken. So here's the subject :
click to enlarge both images
I used Senellier and a few Winsor and Newton watercolours and round Cirrus Kolinsky Sable brushes 0, 4 and an 8 and taped some 200lb Sanders Waterford NOT paper onto a board.




8 comments:

Sandy Maudlin said...

I don't think you could have chosen a better subject for a beautiful snowy day. Lovely and refreshing! Sounds like a wonderful time for everyone, and I can tell you really enjoyed sharing your love of watercolor. Keep warm.

Robyn Sinclair said...

It's easy for me to say but I find the photos of your garden under snow enchanting - it's my Inner Child! It would have been lovely to see your demonstration though. Not many such opportunities where I am - and no snow yet, either but it's threatening.

Sherry Pierce Thurner said...

It sounds like a lovely day, and I wish I could have flown across the pond and visited you.

RH Carpenter said...

I'm glad the snow didn't keep everyone away and they got to see you demo this lovely painting :)

Joan Sandford-Cook said...

Thanks ladies for your comments. Only problem arose was the poor lovely fragile orchids didnt like the change of temperature and were wilting on me, so really had to make them up a bit!!The lovely bowl was one I bought from a fellow Fenland artist before it was fired, as I loved the texture. The beautiful lady and baby was a gift from my discerning sister in law last time she visited. Thats why I love still life, you can put so many different things together that hold so many memories. Even the crocheted doily was one of many Ive kept from my mother for many years, as I think they were all made by her eldest sister.

Sherry Pierce Thurner said...

Yesterday I gazed at those pretty snow pictures in England, and today I have snow of my own. I guess I should square my shoulders, put on a sweater (jumper?) and start painting.

Joan Sandford-Cook said...

Happy painting but braver than me to work plein aire in the snow!!!!

Kendy said...

The content you have provided is pretty interesting and useful.

Today while I was surfing the Internet, I read about Gel Nails being the latest trend now in the nail fashion industry.

I thought this information might be useful for anyone looking for genuine nail decoration stuff and may not know where to buy them from.