Tuesday 16 March 2010

EASTERN OPEN - FLYING OVER THE MARSHES

You may remember back in February I posted two images of paintings I had created whilst staying at Anitas when we were playing with interactive acrylics and acrylic inks. One of them was about marshes in the north of Norfolk with birds.

I liked this painting so much that I decided to make a pair to enter into the Eastern Open this year and here is the result. This time I added far more birds flying over and this time much darker and added the inevitable reeds that grow around our marshes and fenland of East Anglia.


Enlarge to see detail

Not only to remind you of the first painting under this title Flying over the Marshes, but to see them together, I took a photo of them as a pair. They are 20" x 8" canvases with both interative and ink acrylics.
Sandra kindly delivered them for me to our local collection point and now one must wait to see if the very august selection committee think anything of them. The panel consists of Artists & Aspire Project Leader, Head of Quality at Liverpool School of Art and Design and Senior Curator of Fashion at the Victoria and Albert Museum in London. I hope I will be lucky a third time having been accepted in 2006 ands 2007. Tried last year with my flowers from my travels in Amsterdam and South Africa, but realise now they were not suitable for this event. I find that one of the hardest things to work out - what is right for which venue.

5 comments:

cathyswatercolors said...

Hi Joan, good luck with your entry. I don't think you will have a problem your painting is lovely. I couldn't get a close up of the bottom one, which looked more abstract. I'm sure that was interesting as well.

Hard to believe you are self taught. So talented, really.

Sandra Rowney said...

Oops, I forgot to deliver them.....only joking!

Robert A Vollrath said...

Love these two. So much of the wet lands are gone where I live. I like it when a painting draws you in.

Joan Sandford-Cook said...

Cathy - can't leave message on your blog - says it does not exist! I don't think I can say I am completeley self taught as I attended the Byron School of Art in Dorset to start with on a natural history course where I learned my love of flower painting and watercolours. Then I attended a local college for an Art & Design course and a foundation year on a part time basis for mature students. Plus evening classes for life drawing and summer school for abstract. All bringing together what I do now. This over many years. What I did not do is study over consecutive years at a known School working towards a degree.

Sandra/Robert - still not heard from the selection panel yet. Don't know if thats a good thing or not!!

RH Carpenter said...

Good luck on the entry - I would put them both in! Especially love the top with all that texture that makes me want to touch it.