Wednesday 16 March 2011

IRIS ON LANA VANGUARD+

I made a decision this year that I would spend much more time with my floral work and I am really enjoying myself. This is the first of a series of three watercolour studies on Lana Vanguard surface 12" x 16". If only I could decide whether they could be classified as 'contemporary', I would submit them for the Fakenham Contemporary summer Exhibition. Maybe the effect this slippery plastic surface has on the watercolour washes helps bring the work away from botanical traditional work. What are your opinions.??



Here's the finished piece:

... and here are some close ups so you can see the wonderful reaction that occurs when you add different washes on top of each other whilst they are still wet and then paint the detail once it is all dry. The other good thing about this surface is how you can remove colour right back to the white surface :





My next one is going to be Hibiscus.

8 comments:

debwardart said...

I know you enjoy the Yupo paper, and this looks the same to me! I've never heard of this paper, wonder if it's only available in the UK?

Christiane Kingsley said...

Joan, this is so beautiful! I love the details that you have put in. I would certainly submit this painting. All they can do is refuse it if they don't find it "contemporary" enough...

RH Carpenter said...

This is beautiful, Joan, and I would call it contemporary florals :) Beautiful colors and design - can't wait to see the next one. Are you sealing it with an acrylic spray once you're done painting so no water gets into it?

Robert A Vollrath said...

Joan this is wonderful. I'm taking some time for me now and I hope to do more reading of your blog which I enjoy so much.

As a Hibiscus is my favorite flower I look forward to the next post.

Joan Sandford-Cook said...

Thanks for your thoughts art blogger friends. Debs the Lana Vanguard is a French version of YUPO, which is easier to source in the UK than the American YUPO.

cathyswatercolors said...

Hi Joan, I thought this looked like Yuppo. What a abeautiful effect. The colors and details over the initial washes are really wonderful.

Barb Sailor said...

Joan - this painting is so elegant! You have handled the paint so skillfully on this sometimes difficult paper. The hibiscus should be challenging!

Sandra Rowney said...

Such interesting effects...remind me to lend you an inspiring book I bought years ago called, Painting the Spirit of Nature. It strives for similar effects, like painting on silk.