Saturday 5 March 2011

DAFFODILS

My Coltishall ladies came on Thursday for our afternoon painting together and Philippa was inspired by the bunches of daffodils I had around. I actually finished a watercolour and pen riverside work for the pub but once they had left could not resist starting in my garden sketchbook before preparing dinner. Although I do have some daffodils blooming in the garden, it was too cold and damp to work outside and I did not want to pick them (these had come from a local store).

Just placed a selection of flowers into a separate pot ensuring I had numerous views of the blooms to create a study and develop them across a double spread.

Heres the right hand page:


here's left hand page:


.. and this is what they look like across a double spread (unfortunately my sketchbook for the garden opens out to 14" wide - too wide for my scanner so I've placed the two pages side by side to get the effect:




Hurrah, its March and spring is well on its way.!!

4 comments:

Sandra Rowney said...

These are lovely Joan. Interesting composition too with the arc of the leaves.

RH Carpenter said...

Oh, this is beautiful! And you didn't have to make changes to your post because your lovely thumbnail painting showed up fine on my sidebar :)

Unknown said...

These are lovely Joan. I'm so pleased that spring is arriving there.

The Pottering Artist said...

From life and very potent - I love this style in your sketchbook - thanks for sharing them. Alison