Sunday 13 January 2008

NEW BLOGGER




I am an artist working in acrylics, oils, watercolours and pastels. I have such a variety of media at my fingertips because I am one of those 'retired' people with supposedly lots of time on my hands and I have been painting over 3o years. I'll tell you the rest of my story in the PROFILE but for now you might like to know that I have over the past 5 years been successfully creating contemporary free expression of basic floral forms in acrylics, using texture techniques resulting in decorative box canvas pieces of varying sizes and formats. Here's an example or two.


PEONIES ON CINNAMON - part of my SPICE SERIES this one on the left is 17" x 40" and framed in plain dull gold at £285 - the petals are in acrylic paste to stand proud of the background and you will find seeds, golds, gutta paint and other decorative media.


I'll try to add a new post each day for a while so you have something to look at, but at least Ive made a start - thanks to my pal ANITA (see link on the right - an avid blogger) . At the moment I dont know how to add a link to my email address, so if you are interested please contact me on email: joansandfordcook@hotmail.com


7 comments:

Anita Davies said...

Woohoo!
Well done Joannie.

Your email address is already displayed at the top right hand side, reading as 'CONTACT ME'.

I am so looking forward to your daily posts, a chance to remind myself of some of your wonderful pieces and to view some new ones.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Anita - what a pal. My only visitor so far!!!! Ive been busy all day - had my hair coloured and restyled, then did shopping (basicaly food I never got last week as I was away). I'll try tio reemember what I did yesterday and add another post. love you Joannie

RH Carpenter said...

Welcome to the blog-o-sphere, Joan! I really like this cinnamon and spice painting a lot - although these don't look like the peonies we have in the US.

Joan Sandford-Cook said...

How lovely rhcarpenter - thanks for being my first visitor and all the way from the States - apart from my blog mentor Anita. Starting new things are so exciting. Dont forget I might start off a painting in this style with a botanical drawing, but then I let the painting take over - but such a white peonie does exist over here - even if the gold centre is raised a lot. My references get thrown away and I just play!!!!!
Joannie

"JeanneG" said...

I too like this one a lot. Love the colors. Did you add some cinnamon scent to it?

I am a regular at Anita's blog and over the last year have read a few tidbits about your and her on your outings. Nice to meet your and welcome to Blog world.

Joan Sandford-Cook said...

Hi JeanG - how nice of you to post a comment. Yesterdays post told you Anita spent the weekend with me and set up a GALLERY BLOG I'm now working on. She's not only talented with her art but her expertise with IT - such a pal to pass on so much knowledge to me.
I understand that if I click on your name on the comment I can get over to your website ... cant wait. Joannie

Fannie said...

Hi, Joan~
Congratulations on your first post and welcome to the world of blogging. I'm a new blogger too. Found you through Kathleen's blog.

Your work is inspiring. Your floral series are colorful. They draw the viewer into the pieces. One can get lost in its beauty. Keep up the great work. I'll be watching.