Wednesday 13 February 2008

SECOND PRINTING PROJECT COLTISHALL


This is the second in a series of watercolours and pen and washes I am doing of my village of Coltishall for a printing project. I posted the original sketch on the 7th Feb and this is the final result on Saunders Waterford HP 300 gsm 12 x 16 inches. I adjusted the sketch composition as I had more space to make a better feature of the various areas in the allotments people are now beginning to tidy up in readiness for spring planting - with grass walkways between. Pleased with the cabbages in the end as they took the longest to achieve. Hope they dont dominate the painting. Used the same White Knights watercolours as before to make a pair. The gentle winter tonal differences on the cottage and church walls dont seem to show so clearly from this photo (as it flashed in doors) . Im thinking its about time I bought my scanner but an A4 would be too small and an A3 would take up too much space and too much money!!

10 comments:

Anita Davies said...

Oh Joan this is wonderful, love the netting and the curves it adds to the piece.

Robert A Vollrath said...

I like the angle of the tree in the foreground and the way everything in the painting leads your eyes to the church. Anita is spot on about the netting.

Buying a new scanner and learning how to use it always drives me a little crazy.

Great post, both in the writing and your art.

Robyn Sinclair said...

It's always such a feast for my eyes visiting your blog, Joan. Absolutely lovely work in every medium. Your botanical paintings fill me with envy and now this lovely pen and wash sketch. Beautiful.

I photography my paintings because I can never get the colour right with my scanners. It must be my fault. I do find though that I need to remove the colour cast on the white paper in Photoshop, but at least the colour is always pretty true.

Claudia said...

Another g r e a t painting, Joan! I like how you captured the garden plants in the foreground!

E-J said...

It's perfect! The cabbages are superbly done and don't dominate the scene.

Joan Sandford-Cook said...

Thankyou , all you loyal visitors to my art blog for your helpful and kind comments. Now thinking in terms of producing postcards to sell to the tourists who come to our village in the boats they hire from Wroxham. .. which leads me to my next work in this series - the boathouses by the river five minutes walk from my home.

Robert A Vollrath said...

I can't afford to buy one of your paintings but I would love to buy some postcards from you. I think your work would be perfect for postcards.

Joan Sandford-Cook said...

Thanks Robert - the postcard idea is a little time off yet, hopefully for the tourist time in the summer. I'll let you know when achieved.

Margaret Ann said...

Very fresh and earthy...Love the garden!

Joan Sandford-Cook said...

Margaret Anne - You mention the word 'garden' but do you have such things as 'Allotments' in America? They are patches of land set aside for people to grow vegetables if their own gardens are not big enough. At the top of my lane there is such an allotment and I sketched our village church past the row of cottages from the allotment with the cabbages the only thing in full growth as we are still in winter. I always link to new visitor's blogs and enjoyed your wonderful gourd art.