Sunday 3 February 2008

ARTWORKSHOPS IN NORFOLK






I have been very busy over the past few weeks organising monthly all day ART WORKSHOPS in my new Norfolk village. I managed to get a good size article in the local magazine that came out at the end of January, and some adverts in other village publications around and about. To date I have had 9 enquiries. If all confirm, then its systems go with the Salvation Army premises in the village centre already booked for the first Saturday of each month. So Ive been beavering away on the jolly old compute preparing leaflets, posters and guidesheets for the members. Plus Ive prepared some tutorial guidelines for myself. Fortunately, I have done this before and only had to find the original documents and update them.

The images above are the ones I put on the leaflets and posters to show prospective group members what you can do with graphite (the cat commission) done with graphitint pencils; pen and wash sketch (the gateway of a church in Wisbech in the Fens); a still life watercolour (corner of the tourist attraction in Lincolnshire The Violet Centre) and the last one is a full size 16 x 20 inch botanical watercolour I did of a King Proetus flower when I was in South Africa last Autumn.

So wish me luck folks. Thats the trouble when you move, you have to start all over again. Fortunately, my lovely art friend Diane took over my classes in the Fens when I left last August and has encouraged them to go in for the GCSE (O level) art exam. Ive popped in to see them and they are doing some extraordinary work and subjects.

7 comments:

Claudia said...

Joan, the paintings are gorgeous! I especially l o v e the Protea painting! Absolutely lovely!
By the way - I didn't use handmade paper in my sketch, it is a watercolur paper from Ferrario, 113lbs, called "Accademia".
Kind regards!

RH Carpenter said...

Beautiful work, all of them! I can see you getting lots of interest when you can do so many things with varied media.
And Happy Birthday, belated but here due to Anita's post on the first of Feb. (I love the look of the cats!)

Robert A Vollrath said...

Is there anything you can't do as an Artist? Beautiful fantastic art!

E-J said...

For me, that still life watercolour is especially eye-catching ... All-day art workshops, eh? Where can I find out more about these, Joan?

"JeanneG" said...

I'm hoping to do some workshops with the art association I belong to this year. I really like them all but especuially like the detail of the botanical.

Joan Sandford-Cook said...

Thank you so much for all your kind comments. I've actually had problems in the past with gallery curators who find it difficult to accept that I do so many different media and styles. They say the public need to know what they are going to get from a Sandford-Cook ... but I could never be labelled and restricted.

Emma - the artwork shops are on the first Saturday of each month starting 1st March from 10.30 am to 4 pm. To be held in the Salvation Army premises in Coltishall village, where I live. Thats about 10 miles north of the outskirts of Norwich and you go through it on the North Walsham Road A1151. Can also reach it via the Norwich/Aylsham/Cromer road the A140, or the Norwich/Wroxham Road the A1150. Have a word with Anita - she will tell you how far it is. Unfortunately, I think it will be too far for you from Ely but I would love to have you with me. The plan is to cover drawing and water colour skills from the basics to give a good grounding to go on with as many different projects I can think up. If you give me an address on my email I'll post you a leaflet.

Thanks everyone for keeping in touch with my new posts. I do appreciate it.

Roshanda said...

I love the bright colors in your watercolor. Very beautiful!!