Wednesday 12 March 2008

STARTED THIRD OIL FOR SPRING SHOW





Three early stages of the last oil I am preparing for the Grimston Celebration of Art in April/May. I photoed them on the easel as the painting is only 8 x 20 inches and an awkward shape to photo without distortion. Its the font at Grimston church and I loved the wall colour against the dark wood of the panelling at the back, the red curtain in the corner and the font cover which is pulled by chains from the roof when the font is in use. Ive got the chains to add yet and of course all the complex detail of the carving of the cover. So there is a lot to do yet and having to use photo I took last year which unfortunately does not give me a great deal of close detail, so it will have to be dabs of paint done in my inimitable impressionist style!! Comes in handy??!! This is the photo I took and am using to guide me.


4 comments:

Robert A Vollrath said...

I like the easel in the photos.
Your post has more of a connection with the easel in the photos.

My friend Jessa has herself in many of her photos painting on her artwork. This makes a strong connection between her art and the hard work she puts into her art.

Claudia said...

Very good, Joan! It is really difficult to paint from a photo, if you feel there is a lack of detail in the photo...

Margaret Ann said...

Oooooooh...this is going to be gorgeous!

Joan Sandford-Cook said...

Thanks Claudia - I agree I dont really like painting from photos but Ive been to Grimston so many times I do have memories to add to the reference. I hope you are right Margaret Ann - but I think it is going to be difficult but I do love the colours I am using. Im glald to easel was acceptable Robert - makes the painting look big though.