Monday 31 March 2008

LITTLE GIRL IN THE BLUE HAT




Just got back from 4 lovely days with Anita sketching and painting together. One subject I dont feel confident about is portraiture so dont do it much but decided this year I was going to find time to practice. What was more appropriaite than doing so at Anitas, the mistress of this genre.
I sketched her in pencil from a print Anita took from the Wet Canvas Image Library. Hand looks a bit small. I asked for tips on Anita's unusual approach of putting in the shading first and finishing with a glow of a warm glaze. Anita also advised on colour mixing for the skin. Above is the result. She's a great tutor dont you think??! I do. Cant wait to start another but have two works to start well alone complete first.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Wish you two weren't a full continent away - could use some tutoring.
Shirley
http://www.paperandthreads.com

Anonymous said...

Joannie - love the tones and colours used. Hope to see some more - maybe a series perhaps!! Carol

Robert A Vollrath said...

Love the colors and the sweet subject. Seeing this makes me want to finish my painting of my grand daughter.

Margaret Ann said...

Very sweet and innocent...lovely. The two of you seemed to have way too much fun! How neat to have a friend so dear! :)

"JeanneG" said...

You and Anita are so fortunate to be able to get together and paint. I would love to have a close friend with the same interests. And her studio is just great for company. Glad you had a good time. Good job on the portrait. I can do them in graphite but haven't really painted one.

Joan Sandford-Cook said...

You are sure right Margaret Anne and Jean - we know we are lucky to have found each other a few years back and although Ive moved some 75 miles away we still manage time together. Carol and Robert, glad you liked the colours - they include my favourite aquas and torquoises. I enjoyed doing the squares in her top in different tones of the blues.

Joan Sandford-Cook said...

Shirley - went and had a look at www.paperandthreads.com before commenting back to you. Love the fresh clarity of your work and its family orientation. Could not find an artist profile of you or place to leave comment. Is there another blog with that in?? Assume you are from the States (or Australia) from what you said.

Robyn Sinclair said...

Beautiful natural skintones, Joan. And a charming portrait.

I agree Anita is a wonderful teacher. She held my hand through my first acrylic portrait on Wetcanvas.

By the way Shirley (above) lives in NYNY - that's how she has the luck to get around all those galleries and museums.

Joan Sandford-Cook said...

Thanks Robyn - as I said Anita advised re the skin tones and colour mixes - so cant take credit for that aspect of the work. Thanks for advising Shirley is from the USA.