Thursday 2 July 2009

BWTAS TOWERS IN EAST ANGLIA SHOW

Hope I am not boring you with these two latest pieces of work but thought you'd like to see them both finished now.

Water towers at North Walsham
I really enjoyed adding all the colours to what seems at first glance in real life just greyish white concrete. Having such strong sun light to give that glorious shadow underneath the big tower, I felt there had to be more colours in the concrete, so introduced yellow, then added greens and blues and reddish browns in the shadows, all colours that appear in the landscape and houses/roofs (or is it rooves?) .
Drainage Mill at How Hill

As I liked the hints of warm colours in the towers, I decided to add some into the grasses and reeds of this painting as well. I had felt all along that there was something I did not like about the composition and I realised it was the parallel path and drain near the bottom (see my post image of 25th June), which seemed to take ones eye away from the main focus... so - simple as it can be with acrylic - I added grasses and reeds over the dark brown drain that had been on the right hand side - and Oh how much happier I am.


They are now varnished, labelled and corded and ready to go.

5 comments:

Candy said...

I like the colors in the water towers. I can see how you would be pleased with them. I couldn't get an enlarged view of the drainage mill, but I like that one, too.

Judy said...

Bravo Joan -
Both paintings are superb.
Yes the addition of the grasses and reeds is a master touch.

Robert A Vollrath said...

Love the progress on these paintings.
Thanks for the comment you left on my blog:)

Joan Sandford-Cook said...

Thank you all for your comments.
Candy - I have just reposted the drainage image, but again it won't enlarge. Must be something to do with its long height.
Judy - grasses and reads were already there - see my post image of 25th June - I simply added more to cover the dark drain as well as putting additional warm colours.
Robert - Glad you let me know you had read my recent message as I wondered if you would check out your blog now you plan to take a break. Take care.

RH Carpenter said...

I enjoy seeing all the colors in "whites" that you've created and how you moved from cools to warms across the rounded object. Very masterly!