Tuesday 28 July 2009

INK AND WATERCOLOUR WORKS

Surprised to find its over a week since I added a post to my blog. I know I have been busy with all manner of art matters, but I can now show you some of the actual artwork I have been working on over the past week. These are for a local village who are running a weekend Sculpture Trail and Arts and crafts exhibition in aid of their church roof fund (14th - 16th August).

I am producing four pieces in 12" x 12" natural frames with ivory double mounts, using ink and watercolour. Black and sepia penwork and black, sepia, blue and purple ink for the dark areas.
as usual need to click to enlarge for detail

Number one is of the church (St Botolph's Trunch) from a photo I took back in the winter as I wanted to use the birch trees without their foliage so you can see more of the church building. I fell in love with the soft winter light and long tree shadows.


Number two is of the interior as I felt the notice propped on one of three plastic stacker chairs advising you not to enter due to 'unstable roof' would make a perfect subject for the reason for the event. Here the use of inks for the screen and darker panels makes a great contrast with the soft watercolour washes.


I will create another post when I have completed the other two works which are based on a visit to the village Open Gardens and Scarecrow event last week - and hope you find them amusing!!!

2 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

Both of these should be well received at the art sale, Joan :) Love the first one and how the shadows of the tree point towards the church.

Robert A Vollrath said...

I always love the paintings you do with the interior or exterior of a church.