Sunday 19 July 2009

SUNFLOWER ACRYLIC FROM ZENTANGLE

Here is the story of an art exchange with Robert of the USA and myself in England.

Sunflower Acrylic painting on canvas 20" x 16" inspired by zentangle design
Some of you may remember how I got into zentangling back in the winter and in February I posted one I did of a sunflower. Since then I had promised Robert I would use it to create a full acrylic painting for him, but have been so busy preparing work for shows I have only just got round to doing it.
It was great fun as I simply had the original zentangle (check out post back in February under Zentangle label on right) used it as a guide and just enjoyed myself putting shapes onto the canvas and developing it using acrylics and silk outliners. Here are the colours I used and some of the earlier stages.


Colours used and close up of distant bloom I decided to paint bigger

Close up of early stage with ideas for extra petal on left
and strengthened colour stage
You'll see I finally softened some of the greens in the finished work at the top of the post as well as making other colour and pattern adjustments.

I will now remove the canvas from the stretchers, roll and pack into a post tube and take down to the village post office in the morning when it opens, so that it can wend its way to Robert in Kingsville Mo USA. I look forward to the artwork you are preparing for me Robert, but must tell you all that he is a writer and film maker as well. What talent - go take a peep at his blog at

8 comments:

Angela said...

This is wonderful! I love the colors you chose too. What a great idea!

Margaret Ann said...

What a happy piece... it dances with joy! LOVE!!!!!!

RH Carpenter said...

This is fantastic - very artsy to use the zentangle as a starting point for a more developed painting and it really lends itself to this painting.

Robert A Vollrath said...

I just finished a rewrite of a script for a movie I'm directing very soon. After 43 hours of reworking this story of mine your blog is my reward.

Your wonderful painting makes me smile and to think it will be hanging in my home soon.

I'll begin posting my process to create your painting of Rose Pearl the character I created based on your kind comments to my blog and your wonderful paintings on your blog.

My novel Grandfather Green Tie and the Invisible Picnic will always have a flower of your imagination in it and a pearl of your wisdom.

Thank you for all your kind words and the wonderful painting you have sent on a journey of friendship. I will return the favor soon:)

Joan Sandford-Cook said...

Robert you words as ever leave me in awe. I remember long ago being spellbound by the idea of Rose Pearl and so delighted now to know you will be creating a painting of her for me.
Can't wait to read Grandfather Green Tie and the Invisible Picnic. Please let me know when it is published as I must have a copy.

Robert A Vollrath said...

I went a wrong direction with the book but I believe I still can finish this first book before the end of the year.

You'll get a free signed copy of the book. A single comment of yours on my blog gave direction to the book.

As soon as I shoot this first movie of my Heaven's a Joke series of shorts, I'll get back to blogging more.

Robyn Sinclair said...

Wow, wonderful painting, Joan. the colours shapes and mode are are so delicious. I'd find it rather hard to give this one away but it sounds like Robert will really rejoice in having it.

Anita Davies said...

Beautiful painting and what a wonderful exchange Joan.