Tuesday 1 April 2008

LES TROIS FEMMES



Many a time I have been told I should do something with my studies at the life drawing sessions at the Foxley Gallery which I post here on my blog from time to time. When over at Anitas this last weekend I discovered some of them in the boot of my car. I needed a change from sketching in my moleskin little book and thought it would be great fun painting with Anita in her studio. So we decided to use our own life drawing session work (Anita attended a group at Whittlesey until recently) to create acrylic paintings on canvas.
I chose three studies and grouped them as above by going straight in with the brush, but adjusted the size of each figure to suit the composition. Unusually, I kept the paint quite thin and the lovely rough linen (almost like fine sand paper) showed through. I added thin colours one over the other trying to create a modern piece. I added the window and door at the back to give variety to all the curves of the model's body.

Maybe Anita will post her's on her blog soon. Sorry I cant here now I am at home as I have no photo of the unusually bright purple and torquoise work she achieved from her life drawing sketch. It was strange as we seemed to exchange styles as we worked together on our own pieces.

5 comments:

E-J said...

Oooh, this is terrific, Joan! What a great composition.

Anita Davies said...

It looks fantastic on screen Joan, love those red and aqua splashes on the front pose.

"JeanneG" said...

What a great way to use what you already had. Makes a great composition. The door and background really ground it.

Joan Sandford-Cook said...

Thanks everyone for your comments on the three young ladies' composition. Certainly enjoyed painting with another artist when I was at Anita's. I'll take it on Tuesday for the model to see what she makes of it!!!

Robyn Sinclair said...

I really like this one Joan, you pulled together a beautiful composition.