Monday 1 September 2008

THE OLD PALACE ELY

Anita was invited by the Sue Ryder Organisation to take part in a special painting day at THE OLD PALACE ELY and arranged for me to go with her. If you want to know more take a look at Anita's blog via the link on the right.
This was my choice on such a beautiful day to work in the garden keeping cool under the 17th century London plane tree. As you can see from the contrasts in the photo, there was a problem looking out onto the brightly lit building and towering cathedral backdrop.
This was the first layer of planning the composition and dealing with the dreaded perspective!! I worked on canvas in acrylics. Afraid my photography is a bit lopsided.... too big to scan.
Apart from occasional tea breaks supplied by the lovely Hayley of the Sue Ryder Organisation and a tour of the Palace plus numerous chats with Anita working just a few yards from me - it took most of the day to get to the next stage before packing up and heading off to a well deserved lovely meal at the local Italian restaurant. Took hundreds of photos both in and outside. This final image is the completed painting which I worked on at home this afternoon for an hour or so finishing off the detail and tidying up some of the perspective of the windows and roof.

9 comments:

Sandy Maudlin said...

WOW, Joan. A festive picture and so well done. Plein aire painting is so challenging, and your work turned out so well, especially the vibrancy of the colors. Way to go.

Robert A Vollrath said...

Nice post and a wonderful painting.
This makes me want to get back to painting more myself.

I'm getting ready to move to Arizona next year and hope to paint landscapes their on my time off.

Many times after reading your posts I stop what I'm doing and go paint.

Beautiful work.

mARTa said...

Oh, it sounds like you both had a lovely day. I think your painting is lovely and well accomplished despite the bright sunlight!

Anonymous said...

Hi Joan

I am really glad you enjoyed your day and your work is amazing. I like the 'lovely Hayley' comment as well!

I can't wait for the exhibition now.

Hayley

Joan Sandford-Cook said...

Thanks Hayley. Ive sent you an email direct to your fundraising address.

Lottery Girl said...

GORGEOUS final product! I always like how you show the phases as well--so interesting!

Joan Sandford-Cook said...

Thankyou every one for your comments on this acrylic version of the Old Palace. Must say I was pleased with the outcome from what looked like a rather wonky start!!I have now drawn in pen a 16 x 12 inch incorporating areas to each side of the original acrylic composition and look forward to adding watercolour washes. Thought it would be good to exhibit two media versions of the building at the show in the Long Gallery in November.

"JeanneG" said...

I think the final version is just beautiful.

Joan Sandford-Cook said...

Thanks Jeanne - glad you popped in to comment. Off to my daughters for a couple of days, so wont be able to start the watercolour on the Old Palace pensketch yet a while - cant wait.