Thursday 9 October 2008

LATEST FLORAL SKETCHBOOK ENTRY

Been away a couple of days and now need a subject to post , so have gone back to my handmade sketchbook in which I am painting flowers from my garden. This one was done earlier in September when to my surprise the white poppies in the front garden came out in bloom again and were so heavy with short thin stems that they bent over the stone pathway.


I scanned the two sides of the book to create the effect of the double spread. As usual a click will bring you more detail on either half.

9 comments:

Teri said...

Beautiful blooms and love the two page spread.

Anita Davies said...

They bloomed again??? OMG, they were in bloom when I came to visit and were just beautiful Joan, how lucky to have a second burst.
I love how you've painted them here adding the warm brickwork to the background, lovely compostion.

Robert A Vollrath said...

Very nice.

Joan Sandford-Cook said...

Thanks folks - I will confess Anita that there were not quite so many fully out but (old ploy) used different views of the same bloom to create the composition across the double spread. 'Cheat' I hear you all say??? .. but thats artistic licence yes??

Kari Gibson said...

Ahh, yes, I have used that trick, same bloom, different angles, lol. Great pages!

Nancy said...

You do these flowers so well...I've seen your other work...you could write a book on painting flowers! I LOVE YOUR STYLE!!!!!

Margaret Ann said...

OOOOH! What a beautiful delicate spread....This is just gorgeous...saw it on the superblog and scurried right over to drop you a note! Lovely! :)

Joan Sandford-Cook said...

Oh my thanks Margaret Ann. Cant believe an artist with such talent as yourself 'scurried over' to see my floral efforts. Viewed your final Maruman X sketchbook post - wonderful.

Robyn Sinclair said...

I love it when I open your blog and you've posted in your garden sketchbook, Joan. As has already been noted, your flowers delight everyone. White poppies! Gorgeous.