Friday 6 February 2009

CAKES AND WEDDINGS

Thought you deserved a change from my Amsterdam tulips (which I have now finished), so have a little story to tell you. For Christmas Anita (Davies the wonderful - http://artbyanita.blogspot.com ) bought me a Maruman accordian sketchbook and I have wanted to use it for something very, very special. Here's my plan: this summer (June in fact) Clive and I will be celebrating 50 years marriage together, so I have almost six months to create a book describing in sketches our life together using our wedding album to start with and then using family photos. What do you think??

My trouble is I'm not very good at figures and faces, so its going to be an enormous challenge. Because of that I thought I'd try out my first sketch in an old book that has lots of odds and ends sketched in it. Now I'm disappointed, as it turned out quite nice and I've got to redo it in the Maruman!!! Here I am signing the register:


That was the wedding part of the title of this post, and the cake half is the MALTESER CAKE RECIPE I am posting specially for lovely Margaret Ann ( http://waterblossoms.blogspot.com/ )so she can make a celebration cake for her mum who has just had major knee surgery and is doing well. Hope you pop into this post Margaret Ann , just in case your Google search didnt reveal anything useful.

11 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

Your sketch did turn out well - I'm sure you can do it again in the new book (and what a very nice remembrance this will be for you and your husband).
The cake looks yummy, too - no calories in just looking!

debwardart said...

50 years - that's amazing! And what a nice idea for the sketch book - keep us posted on the progress!

Anonymous said...

It's a wonderful idea! And I think you should decorate the first page of your accordion book and collage this beautiful sketch right on the decorated page.
Been there and done that....

Anita Davies said...

What a great start Joannie. If you managed it once you can draw it again...You can!
What a beautiful bride you made.

Anita said...

What a super idea! The sketch is fabulous.

Gutsy Living said...

I just stopped by and wanted to say:
If that photo is you, you certainly don't look your age.
Congratulations on 50 years of marriage.
I now live in California and got my B.Sc. at UEA.
Your sketch looks wonderful. I need to come back and visit your artwork.

Margaret Ann said...

OOOOh MY! Double the fun here today! A fabulous idea for your Maruman...can't wait to see it unfold...a beautiful start!

And the cake recipe...How thoughtful...Now I will have to brush up on my metric conversions or find some good tables somewhere...I found out all about caster sugar from a recipe of Anita's...next I will have to find out what maltesers and Horlicks are...LOL :) ( I am assuming malted milk balls and some type of baking chocolate???)
This indeed will be fun!

Robyn Sinclair said...

You must have been the original child bride, Joan! I love this sketch and of course you'll be able to do it again. Very much looking forward to seeing the sketchbook progress.

Robert A Vollrath said...

50 years is so wonderful. :)

"JeanneG" said...

Love the sketch and the idea for the book. Congratulations on 50 years. We just made it to #38 and my mom and dad will have 61 yrs in July. Time sure flys.

Joan Sandford-Cook said...

I could never have envisaged that this post would have created such a wonderful response from you all for this 'old foggie's 50th anniversary. Your comments have been a delight to read and I thank you all.