Sunday, 15 February 2009

EASTERN OPEN


I have now finished my second piece from my travels for the Eastern Open and my is it different from the image I posted a few days ago!!! I've removed the images of the cave drawings I saw in the Cederberg Mountains as I felt they made the composition a bit messy. Instead, I concentrated on the vastness of the areas we drove through on long straight roads. So I had to have an idea for the bottom centre in place of some of the cave figure drawings, so I came up with a different type of Proteus I had found in Kirstenboch Botanical Gardens near Cape Town.
I developed Table Mountain in the back (ie the top) and decided on only one Artisian Well.
I think it makes a good pair with the Amsterdam Tulips.

12 comments:

caseytoussaint said...

What a gorgeous, intricate colorful painting!

RHCarpenter said...

I could analyze this painting for a long time but my first impressions were - gorgeous use of color and texture in the brushstrokes. I feel the proteus flower is almost masculine, it is so strong and powerful and the combination of the female figure sets it off and balances it well. Beautiful!!! And I guess this is what I meant when I said you paint traditionally, but also not traditionally but exceptionally :)

Junie and J said...

This looks really nice. I like the texture. The colors are very beautiful.

Teri C said...

Absolutely stunning!! The colors are so gorgeous and your attention to detail is amazing.

Sandy Maudlin said...

Whoa. You caught my attention when I saw this on your post. What a fascinating and complex painting, but so refreshing. What a great show it will make with your paintings shining in it. WOnderful!

Angela said...

Oh this is just fantastic! I like it so much!

Can't wait to see what you do next!

Joan Sandford-Cook said...

Thankyou everyone for your response to this finished piece. I just hope you are right and the Eastern Open judges (from an American Museum, Tate Liverpool, Norfolk Festival and a Features Art Editor) think the same and I get my pair from my travels accepted.

Vicki Greene said...

Joan I gave you blog an award. You can see it at http://vickigreene.blogspot.com/

Margaret Ann said...

This is drop dead gorgeous Joannie... I can only imagine it's vibrancy in person...Lots of stong powerful images blending together so well!

Robert A Vollrath said...

Wow! You really blew me away with this painting.

Joan Sandford-Cook said...

Your comments are so encouraging. It seems I must do more like this - in other words go back to my old style I have neglected for too long.

Anita said...

Just fabulous! Love the proteus. I went to Cape Town and Stellenbosch when I was 9 (when we left Kenya) and was struck at 9 by the incredible beauty.