Wednesday 11 February 2009

PROTEUS FLOWERS IN SOUTH AFRICA

Needing a second artwork to pair with the TULIPS IN AMSTERDAM, I of course turned to my travels and sketches. I was looking for a similar idea of a flower particular to a country and I decided upon PROTEUS FLOWERS I had painted whilst on my 5 week SOUTH AFRICA trip in 2007.
I squirted large blobs of colours directly from large tubes/pots of ivory, apricot, Naphthol red (very orangy colour) and burnt umber on the 16" x 16" canvas and dragged them down and across to create a thick warm textured, coloured background - like this
Then whilst the paint was wet, I cut into the thick paint with the edge of a palette knife to place the proteus flowers, an African lady, shape of Table Mountain and some figures from my cave drawing sketches.
Then I developed them all and added Artisian Wells and some greenery.
This is as far as I have got to date but have plenty of ideas, such as placing another bloom central bottom in place of the cave figures which should improve the composition and developing the Table Mountain reflection and city buildings more. I had originally planned the background to be the colour of the rock in the Cederberg Mountains but it has somehow gone a bit pink, so I need to work on that. Wish there was room for some ostriches or penguins I sketched, but I think it will make it too cluttered.
Your thoughts would be welcome, but bear in mind it has a long way to go before I can say 'finished'.

6 comments:

Angela said...

It is looking very cool so far!

Margaret Ann said...

OOOh MY! How exotic...I love proteus! That must have been a fabulous trip...Love the blooms and the African Woman along the side...I can't wait to see your progression here! Exciting and vibrant color!

Robert A Vollrath said...

I love that bloom popping off the canvas.

RH Carpenter said...

I like seeing how you create from just a thought, this painting. Looking forward to seeing it take shape more and more...

Joan Sandford-Cook said...

Thanks everyone. I have been working on it over the past 2 days and it is certainly different as I felt it was getting too muddled so removed the cave drawings. I'll post it tomorrow.

Cathy Gatland said...

I love the colours and textures you've created, and it looks very South African. Though they are dotted all over the countryside, I never knew those windmill pumps were called Artesian Wells!