Sunday 9 August 2009

THIS AND THAT OVER THE PAST WEEK

On Coltishall Common by the river
Last Saturday afternoon a small group from my regular workshops met by the river in Coltishall to sketch together. It was a wonderful day with lots of family groups and dogs wandering around by the river , lots of boats mooring up at the common and owners/hirers making their way to the Rising Sun Pub over the little bridge. It was too warm to work too hard, so we sat around the little tree with a metal circular bench around its trunk, got out more comfy chairs we had brought, our sketchpads, pens and a bit of watercolour and nattered the afternoon away enjoying ourselves.
My result is the pen and wash above in one of my moleskins (thus the creamy background paper) as I loved the shapes the family and dog made sitting on the stump of the old oak tree that came down last year. We all had a good time and came back to my house 5 minutes walk away for tea and cakes afterwards.
The next morning my youngest two grandchildren arrived for a busy 5 days together. Besides a long day at Bewilderwood Adventure park (They even got this old nanny climbing up into the tree houses, along rope ladders and down shoots), we made two visits to our local water ammenity (the Old Mill pool) for them to have a swim and one day hired a boat out from Wroxham. Late nights, lots of picnics, and lovely dinners I drove them home Thursday afternoon and had a late night chatting with my daughter and my eldest grandchild with her friend who was staying. Drove home lunch time Friday stopping to do the food shopping in Dereham (about half way between us on my 45 mile trip). Then showered, washed my hair, had dinner and fell into bed exhausted.... ready for (wait for it)...
Up by 6 am Saturday to get down to Sandras to catch our Norwich Art Circle booked coach into London (just under 3 hrs journey) to be dropped on the embankment opposite the London Eye. We then strolled through Horse Guards Parade, Whitehall, Trafalgar Square, Regent Street and into Piccadilly to Burlington House for the RA Summer Show. Some 10 galleries with 1200 paintings and sculptures from 10,000 entries from all over the world!!! Fantastic art - such variety and talent. Had a picnic half way through in Green Park and back again to finish off in time to walk back for the coach home.
Today I am resting in the garden!!!!!!

6 comments:

debwardart said...

Sounds like you have had a lovely and joyous week!

Candy said...

You have the most wonderful adventures! I love the sketch.

Sandy Maudlin said...

What a wonderful trip. And I love the word, 'nattered.' Thanks so much for sharing your travels so well. Almost seems like we're along on the trip.

Vicki Greene said...

You are one very busy lady but sounds like you are having a great time. I think you sketch is great.

Joan Sandford-Cook said...

Thank you all so much for getting back to me so quickly after my week's absence. Its so nice to know I am not forgotten by friends on the blogwaves. Its good of you all to wade your way through all my words, but I must say I like writing as well as painting so words just flow out of me especially as I am a touch typist.Only trouble is as you don't look at what you are doing, when you do look up to the screen you find you have typed a whole para in capitals!!!

Sandy - the word 'nattered' I suppose is English slang but really means non stop chatting.

Have a whole week at home before delivering to Trunch Friday morning, so lots of painting to catch up with my schedule.

Robert A Vollrath said...

Love that word 'nattered'.

I'm going to try to finish your painting soon and I'm sorry I can't figure out how to post pictures on my new computer.