Well, at last I have finished the oil painting of the mill. I straightened up the verticals, softened the shadow sides of the building, added the windows and supports, highlighted the water flowing out, put more made up detail into the tree area on the left.....
Finally I turned to the bank and all its plant life. I removed the bull rushes I had planned in the early thin blocking in layer, as I didnt like the shapes and colour re-iterating the dark arched windows which were already repeated in the reflections. So I was left with the evening primroses that were in one of the 1906 photos I had been given. To add variety I put into the foreground my interpretation of some yarrow that grows in abundance round here on the riverbanks. A few dark sap greens, ultra and king blues, with stalks of red umber and touches of yellows and reds and I was finished. I feel the bank and the tree on the right give me what I had planned (a reverse 'L') to frame the building and give the feeling of space.
The two archways on the right look strange, but I checked out the photo reference and they are different shapes to each other.
Being close up, the bank plant life is all quite impasto, so I'll have a long wait for the painting to dry before I can take it along to the gallery to see if his client likes it.