I started by laying on creamy colours from my White Knights pan paints starting with their vermillian hue, Titian, green light, cadmium yellow covering the whole square I had taped down on my work board. Then I rolled my little sponge over it from top to bottom before it was dry and where necessary spraying with a small water bottle, blending the colours next to each other to create a soft mottled background for the flower shapes.
I waited a little while to ensure the line was sharp before using the vermilion a little thicker to paint the bud and petal shapes freehand, leaving areas of the original background showing through. I then cleaned off some off that within those shapes to create the lights. Added stalks and leaves in the same way blending with a number of greens and yellows, also lifting off here and there. Finally added the dark reds and stamens and touches of olive green.
Must confess after leaving it all to dry, I did titivate a little in the background by spraying with water and softening with a tissue. There are signs of the pattern on the edge of the tissue printed onto the background (see bottom right corner). Plan to develop this idea more in another flower painting.
I have always wanted to achieve some of my floral paintings to look more wet on wet, and I think with YUPO I have found a way. I am certainly going to develop it.
When I removed the tape there was a clean white border which I feel enhances the colours.